Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
3G coverage (Read 2149 times)
Malcolm
Ex Member

3G coverage
Jun 5th, 2009 at 12:28pm
Print Post  

I am sure that this topic has come up before so forgive me it is has. Has anyone any advice to offer on 3G coverage in the l'Ametlla area and along the coast. I am looking for Internet  back up to Iberbander and something I can take when I am away on the boat. I was attracted by the Orange deal but they have advised coverage is not good. A test 'phone they supplied certainly suggests that.

Would appreciate any input.

thanks Malcolm

IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Re: 3G coverage
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Boat?  BOAT?   You have a boat?  Us boaties need to know more.  Please advise even if by PM.

yours etc..... a boatie.

IP Logged

Malcolm
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 11:15pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2009 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Malcolm,
my own experience is that 3G isn't reliable here yet. It's still not that good in central London so there's doubts as to whether it will make it before 4G overtakes it. For backup you will have to stick with 2.5G on the GSM networks.

On a related point, I'm having great success using VOIP here on my mobile. I have a lot of telephone traffic with the UK and Europe and it was costing me a fortune. Now that I have my Nokia mobile set up I can receive calls made to my English phone number, free to me and only UK rates to the caller. I can make calls for free or very little. You need to be in WiFi coverage so it works at home and I'm progressively adding the bars and restaurants I frequent. It works very well over the 1MB Iberbanda as long as I'm not downloading a movie at the same time! It's cheaper to call Spanish numbers than my Movistar mobile. Interestingly, I phoned Movistar to cancel the contract and, to keep me, they have given me 6 months free of the minimum charge. I'm just keeping it now to have a Spanish number.

Pete.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top