Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
 10 valencia airport or barcelona airport (Read 6960 times)
jt42
Ex Member

valencia airport or barcelona airport
Aug 26th, 2009 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
 Hi everyone we have just returned from a couple of weeks in the tortosa area, crikey it was hot
 anyway we flew in and out of barcelona as we always have although sometimes to reus,
has anyone flown to valencia from the uk if so is it any easier a journey once you arrive at the airport in valencia is the hire car journey to tortosa any better than from barcelona or are the roads just as busy and is it further to drive.
 thanks
 Jon.

IP Logged

viking
Ex Member

Re: valencia airport or barcelona airport
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Hi Jon,
We have flown from both Barcelona and Valencia airport. Barcelona is a much bigger airport and there is usually more traffic about as you leave in direction of Tortosa. Valencia is much smaller and provided you don't get lost like we did first time ( having to drive through the city as a result) it is really quite a quick and easy journey and the roads are usually quieter. Basically Valenciait is further by road and you can expect to add on half an hour to get to Tortosa. We thought it was worth it though as the tricket prices to Valencia are often lower. If you can get a cheaper ticket then I would say it was worth it, if the ticket price is the same then I'd probably say stick with Barcelona as it is a shorter journey and less petrol! Easyjet fly to Valencia but I believe not all year round, ie. last flights end of October or thereabouts. There is always Reus of course!
Hope this helps!

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Hi Jon,
Yes, it has been flippin hot, even for those who live here full time.  Anyway, here's my two pennuth.
I've used both airports quite a few times and on balance, I'd go for Valencia.
Easyjet (as far as I can make out from their timetables) do a Saturday flight during winter (October onwards) to/from Bristol and daily to/from Gatwick.
The new car parks at Valencia are very close to the terminals.  The distances are Barcelona 170km, Valencia 197km BUT there's only one toll on the Valencia route and 6 or 7 on the Barcelona which makes it a lot cheaper and probably no longer timewise.  The route to Valencia is straightforward and on the way back to Tortosa, there's only one point where you need to be vigilant near Castellon where you need to make sure to follow the signs for the AP7 and NOT the A7 else you'll finish up in the middle of Castellon.  It's quite a scenic route despite being motorway most of the way.  I'm not going to get into discussion on the relative merits of Ryanair and Easyjet but if you want anymore info (detailed routes or whatever), just shout.
For what it's worth,
Bigyin

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
Hi
Do you know what the daily car parking fees are?
Thanks

IP Logged

jt42
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Thanks everyone i think we may give valencia a go as during october a long weekender flight with easyjet is between £40 and £50 pounds cheaper for 2 people flying into valencia
Cheers
Jon,

IP Logged

roswell
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Hi
Thanks

Cannot remember exactly, but is really very cheap, iirc E5 a day or close, I did it a few months ago for 4 days and was very happy.

Not sure Valencia is really that much cheaper to get to, there is only one toll station but they do take E15.40 off you, BCN is not a lot more in total, just more toll stations. You can avoid the most expensive ones through the tunnels by leaving the [free] C32 and taking the C31 coast road to Sitges where you can easily rejoin the C32 having missed the really expensive tolls.

I am sure plenty of you think the trip via Sitges could be a real pain in the arse, but it is a lot easier than you would think.   Wink

IP Logged

nen
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Quote:
Hi
Thanks

Cannot remember exactly, but is really very cheap, iirc E5 a day or close, I did it a few months ago for 4 days and was very happy.

Not sure Valencia is really that much cheaper to get to, there is only one toll station but they do take E15.40 off you, BCN is not a lot more in total, just more toll stations. You can avoid the most expensive ones through the tunnels by leaving the [free] C32 and taking the C31 coast road to Sitges where you can easily rejoin the C32 having missed the really expensive tolls.

I am sure plenty of you think the trip via Sitges could be a real pain in the arse, but it is a lot easier than you would think.   Wink

thank you regards nen

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Here you go http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite?Language=EN_GB&pagename=subHome&MO=1&SMO=2&Sit...
€14.40/day up to four days.
The last time we went in June, the toll was about €12 each way but that was getting on and off at Junc 42 just past Ulldecona.  That's probably acouple of miles less than using J41 at Tortosa.  Wouldn't have thought the time would be much different either.

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2009 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Why not let the train take the strain?
You can  let the fast train down L'Aldea to Valencia central and then take the Metro straight out to the airport. Apparently the Metro takes less then 20 minutes from the centre. Then you have neither worry about car parking fees nor having your car nicked. The  latter is the latest "sport" that  seems to becoming more popular.  Just a thought...

IP Logged

viking
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 9:29am
Print Post  
I didn't know there was a fast train from L'Aldea to Valencia. How long is the journey and how frequent are the trains, would it be possible to do a day trip to Valencia?

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #10 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Here you go. http://www.renfe.es/horarios/english/index.html
Day trip to Valencia entirly possible.  Park at Aldea station and away you go.  You may need to pre-book your ticket.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #11 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Good bet for a day trip is the open top bus tour providing it's not too hot or wet.  I can provide location if required.

IP Logged

Ebrovoice
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Please do, as tourists are finding the Valencia day out option more appealing now than Barcelona being "picket pocketed" spree offers them.

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
BMI baby and Monarch are doing cheap (from 99p) flights from UK airports to BCN after 25/10,factor in €20 plus shuttle return to Tortosa.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #14 - Aug 27th, 2009 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Please do, as tourists are finding the Valencia day out option more appealing now than Barcelona being "picket pocketed" spree offers them.

Come out of the front of the station (the bull ring is at your right shoulder).  Directly ahead on the other side of the road is Av del Marques de Sotelo.  Walking along there you pass the Plaza del Ayuntamiento, a large open space with fountains on the right.  Continue on until you are faced with a fork in the road.  Bear right and continue straight on (Calle de San Vicente Martir) to the open area Plaza de la Reina.  This is an attractive area adjacent to Valencia cathedral.  Station to Plaza about 0.75 Km.  There are a lot of cafe's and restaurants where you can sit and wait for the bus.  It's an open topped double decker that parks near the entrance to the Plaza on the left.  The tour is quite extensive and takes you beside and accross the dry canal that is now turned over to public gardens, down to the ultra modern architectural area near the harbour and the GP circuit and then around the old parts of the city.  Don't think there's a guide in English available though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top