Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
 10 router on iberbanda (Read 7950 times)
PaulH

the hills are alive

router on iberbanda
Aug 28th, 2009 at 11:26am
Print Post  
What do I need for a wireless connection on Iberbanda, will the UK ones work, if not where can I buy a router here & approx cost???
Thanks Paul

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Re: router on iberbanda
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Rather than a wireless router you need a wireless access point. Routers tend to be more for ADSL lines - you plug it into your phone line with your ADSL connection and it provides you with a wireless network and sometimes a few normal ethernet connections.

A wireless access point is designed to be plugged into an ethernet port and provides wireless networking from there.

Some ADSL wireless routers can be used without the ADSL port as a normal wireless router.

A wireless access point will cost you anything between about 30 and 60 euros depending on the make.

You can get one from the computer shop in the corner near the Ajuntament in Tortosa. I think PC City and Media Mart also sell them if you are up in the Reus area.

Nigel

IP Logged

hazelnut
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 2:25pm
Print Post  
[quote author = PaulH link = 1251451576 / 0 # 0 date = 1251451576] What do I need for a wireless connection on Iberbanda, the UK ones will work, if not where can I buy a router here & approx cost???
Thanks Paul [/ quote]
I Have a spare alvarionIDUUniversal IndoorAC power Adaptor with connections that are Labelled Radio and ethernet if you are interested give me a bell on 977059254

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Hi Nigel,
Don't want to be contraversial but your reply has confused me a bit.
If Paul is on Iberbanda, he has a DSL connection (like ADSL except the up and down speeds are the same) for his phone and internet.  The plain vanilla version has a cable coming in from the antenna which goes to the "Radio" box which is linked to the "Network" box.  Into this is plugged the VOIP (like Skype) phone and the ethernet cable from the PC for the internet connection.  To obtain a wireless connection from any number of PC's to the internet, a Wireless Broadband Router can be plugged into the "Network" box instead of the PC ethernet cable.  Perhaps you are saying that the same can be achieved using a "wireless access point" ?  If so, that's fine.  Hope I haven't complicated the question rather than assisted.
I'm using a Linksys Wireless-G.

Where there's life there's hope !!
IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2009 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
The difference is with a 'conventional' internet connection, i.e connecting to a hard wired telephone (landline) the signal appears on a telephone lead which then plugs into a 'router' which is called an ADSL router. There are various types, ones that just convert the ADSL signal to an ethernet connection for a hard wired connection, and another that provides the signal as a wireless connection.

Iberbanda, on the other hand, provide an ethernet connection - the same as you would get on the ADSL box mentioned above.  There is no wireless connection so you need to add a wireless access point, which is different from an ADSL wireless router in as much as you can't plug it in to a conventional telephone line.  The entry for the internet to the access point is an ethernet connection rather than a telephone line.

Unfortunately the terms for the various things you plug an ethernet connection into are becoming a bit muddled these days.  There are hubs, routers, ADSL routers, and wireless access access points to name but a few. Each have their own function and some have the function of more than 1 device at the same time.

Basically a router will isolate you from a public IP address and provide a local network and will contain a DHCP server.  When you get an Iberbanda connection you will get what is called a public IP address (it can change as it is not a fixed address). When you connect your computer directly to an Iberbanda box this address will be passed on to your computer.  Your computer can then connect to the internet BUT someone elsewhere on the internet can see your computer unless you use a firewall and have it configured to block anyone seeing it.

With a router in place, the IP address passed to your computer is a local address and is not visible outside of your local network so nobody can access your machine - the router acts like a block to anyone trying to get to your computer (look up NAT - Network Address Translation on Google to see how it all works).

A wireless access point is basically a router that has, as its connection to the internet, a plug that plugs into an ethernet connection rather than an ADSL broadband router, which as its connection plugs into a telephone socket.  They provide the same thing, but with different connections.  Also, in my experience, Wireless Access Points are generally cheaper than ADSL routers.

I also use a Linksys device, a WAP54G to be exact, which  is an access point, not an ADSL router.

Nigel

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Hi Nigel,
My device is a Linksys WRT54GS which as I said, and as you know is a broadband router.  I understand the bit about local and public addresses.  As your WAP plugs directly into the ethernet connection on the Iberbanda box and so does mine, they would appear to essentially perform the same function in their ability to allow shared internet connection and as Paul was talking Iberbanda, I couldn't see the relevence to telephone lines and ADSL.  Anyway, hopefully our discussion will allow Paul to make a choice that works for him and not just confuse the socks off him.  Shocked

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 11:03am
Print Post  
Yes, they are essentially the same device, as I said, the names for the different devices has become a bit muddled up in the last couple of years.

The problem is that if you don't know what you need, and go to a computer shop, and have the misfortune of being accosted by the obligatory spotty teenager, he might well think you need an ADSL wireless router rather than a wireless 'device' (router/access point or whatever they want to call it) that has an ethernet connection.

You'll then have a device that won't do what you were expecting - plugging the telephone cable into the Iberbanda telephone cable doesn't give a broadband connection.
I've been asked more than once if I have a cable, or where you can get one, that allows an ethernet cable to be plugged into the telephone connection on an ADSL router!

Nigel

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yes, they are essentially the same device, as I said, the names for the different devices has become a bit muddled up in the last couple of years.

So the answer to Paul's original question (assuming he hasn't given up by now) is that he can buy either (and if he so chooses, either of the actual models we have mentioned), plug the ethernet cable between the device and the socket on the Iberbanda network box, his voip phone into the other and he's good to go (as our cousins accross the pond would say).  By the way, they helpfully throw the term "gateway" into the mix.
As to cost, looking on UK sites there's not much in it as far as RRP goes but older (but adequate) models might be discounted.
I'm assuming that Paul has more than one wireless enabled PC/laptop that he wants to be able to access the internet with as otherwise there's no point.  I currently have my PC plugged directly into the router as the comm speed is higher and just have the laptop wirelessly connected.

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
As a general point with Iberbanda, make a hard copy note somewhere of your IP address, gateway and DNS servers. You will need them to configure a router anyway.

The crappy wireless router that Iberbanda provided lost its memory and I had to call them to get the settings. I have junked that router as it wouldn't get a signal through even one of my old caseta walls. A Buffalo HP is now doing the job brilliantly.

You might like to know that there are various VOIP phones available which will work on a WiFi network. I use my Nokia N95 mobile at home and at various bars with WiFi to make free calls to the UK. I also get a UK 'landline' phone number which makes it so much easier to get a call back from UK parties AND I can call 0800 and 0845 numbers very cheaply. Great when dealing with the government, NHS etc.

IP Logged

PlanesPete

In the Pink....

Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 4:28pm
Print Post  
Just occured to me...

When I signed up for Iberbanda, I expected an email address from them and some web space. Has anyone got these?

Pete.

IP Logged

Bigyin
God Member

Onwards and Upwards !!

Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
You get 5 x POP3 mail accounts and 50Mb webspace.  I use one of the pop3 accounts as my main email address but haven't exploited the web space yet.

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #11 - Aug 29th, 2009 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
PlanesPete wrote on Aug 29th, 2009 at 4:26pm:
As a general point with Iberbanda, make a hard copy note somewhere of your IP address, gateway and DNS servers. You will need them to configure a router anyway

Well, unless you have opted for a static IP address I wouldn't bother, and you may end up having problems!  The normal vanilla version of Iberbanda has a dynamic IP so if you set your IP in anything then you are asking for trouble!

All the wireless boxes should come with a built in DHCP server and will also dynamically obtain both the IP address and DNS server addresses directly from Iberbanda.  Some of them come with a client for ddns (dynamic DNS services) where you can get free DNS names and the router will automatically update the DNS table if your IP address changes.

If you want email accounts and webspace you need to email soporte@avired.com with your NIE number and request the email that you want, and a couple of options.  If it's available they will set it up and send you instructions on how to use it.  They are POP accounts but they also have a web interface if you don't want to use a POP client.

As for WiFi phones, I use a Nokia 5800 with an application called Fring as a VOIP client, and voipcheap.co.uk for calls - works fine! Also I have a Linksys PAP2 VOIP adaptor that I have permanantly connected with a UK phone number - also works a treat!  I sell PAP2 VOIP units if anyone is interested Smiley

Nigel

IP Logged

ColinB
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 30th, 2009 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Hi Paul.   When I wanted to install one I went to Carrefour Express in Tortosa, saw they had "Belkin  Wireless G Plus Routers" and Googled for opinions.  Consensus was these are one of the easiest and most reliable to install so that's what I bought.  About Euros 70.  Fool proof and good range although thick walls do impede the signal - I  have the router in the house and can easily use the PC in our garden room which is about 30 odd metres away.   See you soon.

IP Logged

PaulH

the hills are alive

Reply #13 - Sep 1st, 2009 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Thanks all, I've been confused, enlightened, confused again but on re reading enlightened!! I will be off soon to buy the new gadget, hopefully they don't consume alot of electricity.
Paul

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top