Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Gas fridge (Read 2594 times)
ClipClop
Ex Member

Gas fridge
Jun 27th, 2012 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Can anyone help me please, we have  a gas fridge that has always worked well with no prob. However last week it decided to play up. The fridge works fine but the freezer is only freezing on one side. Any suggestions?? Or is it going to fridge heaven...

IP Logged

adrienne

Forum newbie

Re: Gas fridge
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2012 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Ours did the same needed a new thermostat. we dont know anything about fridges so we took it to blascos oppposite the police station in tortosa and they did it but if you are mechanically minded you can buy the part and fit it for a lot less than we paid

IP Logged

Nigel
YaBB Administrator

Living here and loving
it!

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 7:44am
Print Post  
Gas fridges that operate on butane/propane/natural gas are 'absorption refrigerators' , do not have a compressor and have no moving parts. Don't confuse the gas with the refrigerant 'gas' as they are totally different.

One common 'fix' for this type of fridge is to turn it off, empty it, leave it for an hour or two then turn it upside down. Leave it 30 minutes then put it back upright again. Leave it 30 minutes then light it again.

This re-mixes the chemicals (mainly ammonia) that are in the refrigeration circuit.

This doesn't work with electric fridges!

IP Logged

Nobrot
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Done it on 2 and it's worked both times....top tip from Nigel.
Don't know if it's right and proper but I've always used propane on mine,last longer,flame burns hotter,cheaper and keeps the fridge cooler....top tip from me.

IP Logged

ClipClop
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2012 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Thankyou all, will try tipping it upside down first before we go and get a new thermostat.. Hubby looked a bit horrified when I told him we had to tip it upside down though!!! I have faith in you Nigel n Nobrot   Wink

IP Logged

ClipClop
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2012 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
[[/i] ok tried tipping the fridge upside down, Did as suggested still no better  Cry looks like thermostat is next on the list .. Thanks anyway for your help Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top